Wednesday, August 16, 2017

How to Make a Hair Bow Hanger

I think I'm not alone in saying little girls have A LOT of BOWS!  I finally decided it was time to pack up her infant head bands, and boy did Carolyn have a lot of those!  Now we've moved on to the little hair bow clippies and because I have a feeling she'll be wearing these for a long time I decided it was time to get organized.  So with a little help from my husband (he's my master spray painter) we made her this cute hair bow hanger.



Supplies you'll need:

  • Wood Board
  • 4 Knobs
  • 4 Replacement screws to fit your board (explained later)
  • Spray paint (white)
  • Acrylic Paint (pink)
  • 76" of Ribbon
  • Felt (large enough to cover the backside of board)
  • Fine paint brush
  • Power drill
  • Staple Gun
  • Tacky Glue
  • Ruler
Optional:
  • Sewing machine or glue gun

To start we marked the placement of our four knobs.  We spaced them 3" apart and set in from the corners by 2".  My sweet husband Ben took his power drill and pre-drilled the holes for me.
  
Next I had my expert painter spray-paint the board with a glossy white for me.  I could do this myself, the problem is a have a self control problem with the spray paint and ALWAYS end up putting on super heavy, thick coats that end up leaving drip marks.  I'm serious, no matter how hard I try I can't control myself!

Meanwhile I used the computer to print her name in a font I liked.  I printed it as an outline to make it easy to trace.

I took a regular pencil and shaded the back, basically making my own version of carbon paper.

Then I taped it in place with painters tape and traced her name using a ball point pen.
Tip: don't press super hard, you only need a faint line.  If you press hard you'll indent your wood and/or the pencil will be hard to cover with your paint.

Ta-Da!  I accidentally smudged the pencil, luckily that came up easily with a good quality eraser. Then we painted in the letters using our acrylic paint.

I had purchased drawer knobs at the craft store but the screw they came with was much too long for the board we were mounting them on, luckily Ben discovered that we could easily unscrew the original screw from the knob and use a shorter one in it's place.


At this point we were excited to see how it was coming together so we installed the knobs, but then had to remove them again to do some of the next steps so you might want to save yourself the effort and wait.  If you can't wait, attach, install, say oooo-aaahhhh, and then remove.

My next step was to trace the outline of my board on the felt and cut it out.  The felt will be attached later, but it was easier to do this before I added my ribbons.

I cut 20" of my thinner width ribbon and stapled it to the corners to make a hanging ribbon.

Cut your ribbons into 28" long segments.  I cut 3 segments of my narrow pink polka dot ribbon and 2 segments of my thicker blue floral ribbon.

This is optional:
I decided to sew little loops on the ends of my ribbons so that when Carolyn is older we can insert her curved shaped headbands through them.  To do this I folded my ribbons up one inch and sewed straight across.  If you don't have a sewing machine you could easily hot glue them up instead. Or if you don't want the little loops just cut the ends of your ribbons with the decorative bird-beak cut.

Then I used my table as a straight edge to line them all up on and spaced them out between the knob holes.  I put two staples in each ribbon to make it secure.

Next I put Tacky Glue on my wood board, but only up to the ribbons.  Do not glue past the screws because you won't be able to attach the knobs.

And attach the felt.  After the glue dries (I let mine dry for a few hours) then you can attach your knobs and hang it up on the wall.

I hung Carolyn's bow hanger using a 3M sticky hook.  That way if we decide to rearrange her room there won't be any holes in the wall.

We put it on the wall between her closet and the door.  We hung it nice and high so she can't grab the ribbons and pull it down on herself.  You won't believe how often we catch her looking up at it.  I think she likes it!

I love that the pink polka dot ribbon matches her new chair from her birthday.

Did you know these things go for over $50 on Etsy???  Now you can make one for your own darling daughter or maybe for a friend's for much cheaper!  Happy crafting!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Missing Photos

I apologize for a lot of missing pictures, especially in older posts. I was using PhotoBucket to host my pictures, but they've changed their rules and no longer allow links to them.
I will be re-uploading the pictures, but it may take some time...