Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Flax Seed Neck Pillows

Flax seed neck pillows make wonderful gifts and are oh so cozy!
This year for Christmas I made several special people flax seed neck pillows.

The original idea came from an old Martha Stewart show I'd watched where she made buckwheat pillows. I loved the shape of the pillow but wasn't sold on the buckwheat. I really wanted something you could heat up, so I did some research and found this article comparing different ingredients. Now I knew what I wanted to use - flax seed was the winner in my book. After a lot of Pinterest searching I found some pretty cards to print and attach to the gift here.

To make your own you'll need

  • 1/3 yard cotton fabric
  • thread to match
  • 6 cups flax seed
  • 1/3 cup dried lavender
  • a funnel is helpful but not necessary

I used Martha Stewart's pattern but only cut out three panels.

I then pinned right sides togtether and sewed them.


The trick is to leave a small hole on one side so that you can turn the pillow right side out and fill it with flax seed.

I wanted my pillows to have a soothing scent so i included dried lavender from my garden.

I had seen a neat tool on amazon that is used to remove leaves from fresh herbs (link here) so I invented my own at home using my knitting needle guide to remove the lavender flowers from the stem.

Ready to fill!

I filled the pillow 4/5 of the way full. Then I hand sewed the hole closed.

When choosing fabric I made sure to select small patterns that would look good when sewn in this fun shape.

It doesn't look like much when it's laying flat on it's own, but...

try it on and it feels great!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Missing Photos

I apologize for a lot of missing pictures, especially in older posts. I was using PhotoBucket to host my pictures, but they've changed their rules and no longer allow links to them.
I will be re-uploading the pictures, but it may take some time...