Monday, October 7, 2013

Homemade Lavender and Rose Potpourri Sachet

I always thought potpourri was fancy and had to be made from expensive ingredients, boy was I way off! For my Grandma's birthday this year I wanted to give her something handmade and heartfelt.  So I came up with the idea of making her homemade potpourri sachets from the flowers in my backyard!


For this project all you need are:
* Simple sachet bags
* Bucket or bowl to catch the flowers in
* Dried Roses
* Dried Lavender

I dried all of these flowers myself from clippings from my backyard!  

To dry them I clipped the roses to a skirt hanger upside-down by their stem and hung them in the closet for a few weeks.

The lavender I rubber banded as a bundle and hung upside-down in the closet also.  I used a paperclip as a hook to catch the rubber band and then hang it to another hook.

In my backyard I have two different types of lavender that grow right outside the master bedroom window.  I went to look them up at Better Homes and Gardens but there were so many different varieties to compare to, I think I need to take them to a nursery for help!  The lavender on the right smells more fragrant than the one on the left.

The first step was to remove the flower from the stalk, this was easy to do with just my hands.

I made a mix of both types of lavender.

Then I gently removed the rose petals, I like the mix of color they add!

All that was left to do was put them in the sachet bag!  I found these in the wedding favor section of the store, they worked perfectly!

Rose petals in first!

Then the lavender.

And ta-da, simple yet special lavender rose potpourri!

I was able to make several bags, with just those two roses.  My teacup exchange friend might be receiving one too!  And I think I'll be making more of these in the future because they smell wonderful!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Missing Photos

I apologize for a lot of missing pictures, especially in older posts. I was using PhotoBucket to host my pictures, but they've changed their rules and no longer allow links to them.
I will be re-uploading the pictures, but it may take some time...