First I cut my decorative fabric in half right down the center. I pinned them along one end, right sides together and stitched together. Then I folded my seam open and pressed.
Now had one long piece of decorative fabric, I pinned it to my backing fabric (which came in a different width). I knew that I didn't want any of the selvage to show, since it was so full of holes, so I pinned the backing fabric below that edge.
After one half of the table runner was pinned to the backing fabric I cut it to match.
Then I pinned the second half of the decorative table runner to it and trimmed again.
Sorry at this point I forgot to take pictures. I sewed a center seam the same as on the decorative fabric and pressed open. Then I pinned both sets of fabric together right sides together and sewed all the way around, leaving a small gap of about 5" in order to flip it right side out when done. After I had flipped it right side out, I ironed the edges flat. Don't worry about the gap, fold down the sides and the decorative stitch will hold it closed.
Then I went around the entire piece with a decorative stitch. I chose a "straight stretch" stitch. It look like a roman numeral III on my machine. I liked it because it made the stitch stand out since it did each one three times.
And that was it, all done! This was such a nice easy project that made such a difference in my dinning room.
The next day Ben came home with some wonderful flowers, I knew right were I wanted to put them. The colors went so perfectly together!
The only problem with the flowers is that they came with cat-tails that were fuzzing all over the place. I decided to take them out of their wrapping outside and BOY was I GLAD I did!!!!! Look at all that fluff!!!!!
The fluff was worth it, the flowers looked great in their new home!
I hope you try making your own table runner sometime, it is so easy to do an makes such an impact!