Tuesday, January 23, 2018

LG 24 Cu Ft Counter Depth French Door Refrigerator Review

Our old hand-me-down refrigerator died three weeks ago and we were faced with a dilemma. Buy a used one off Craig's List or purchase something new that will hopefully last longer than two years. With some encouragement and support from my parents (they gave us some cash to help make it possible) we decided to take the plunge into buying a brand new appliance!  Thanks Mom and Dad, you're the best!

Narrowing it down to the fridge we bought was no easy task. This was A LOT of money for us and I wasn't going to make this decision lightly. By the way, this post is NOT sponsored, of course if some one wants to give me a free fridge I would be happy to give you my honest knit-picky review of it (I like to tell it like it is, no sugary fluff allowed)! I spent over a week thoroughly researching my options, we made 3 trips to the store to physically examine the different models.  I read a lot of other people's reviews and that's why I thought I'd share my review with you.  Yes all this info helped me make my decision, but I don't want to keep it all to myself, I want to share it with you and hopefully help someone else! You can view the Google Spreadsheet where I organized all my research here.


Previously we had a large GE Profile Artica that we think was made around 2001.  We had nicknamed it the Beast!  It stuck out past our counters by 7" and my dad even had to trim the cupboard about it to make it fit!  But beggars can't be choosers and we were sooooo grateful to be given a free working fridge that even had water and ice in the door!

Back to the problem, it stuck out past the counter and caused a bottle neck to happen where the counter peninsula stuck out in front of the microwave. We measured how deep this fridge was, it was only 31" deep.  Most modern fridges are BIGGER than that! Eeek, that would never work!

Our goal was to get a fridge that was 30" or less in depth, 36" or less in width and 69" or less in height.  That meant we were stuck in the "counter depth" category.  Which is unfortunate because they are more expensive than their bloated brothers (about $400 difference, oie!).

I debated between saving some money and getting a side-by-side instead of a french door style refrigerator.  In the end, the storage space of this model won me over.

We ended up buying the LG 24 Cu Ft Counter Depth French Door Model #LFXC24726S
Here is the link to the exact fridge we bought from Lowes and this is it on the LG site.
This bad boy packs in tons of storage space for only being 28.3" deep!

It has been exactly one week and I LOVE IT! Hers is my pro/con list for this fridge:


Pros:
  • Tons of storage space in fridge and freezer
  • Full shelves in fridge (not wasted by ice maker)
  • Three drawers in the freezer
  • Freezer drawer pulls out far (much further than other brands)
  • Lots of space on doors for bottles and jar storage
  • Deli drawer opens without needing to fling both fridge doors all the way open
  • Freezer has lift-up handle to keep toddlers out
  • Super quiet!
  • Makes ice FAST
  • Water dispenser fits a pitcher
  • LED lights enhance interior
  • Three smaller produce drawers are better for organization
  • Door alarm and lock features for water dispenser
Cons:
  • Water/Ice dispenser are separate with water in odd location way in front
  • Filtered water is not very cold
  • External control buttons go down the side of water dispenser and are in reach of young children

As soon as the fridge arrived my daughter tested out the freezer door, score she could NOT open it!

It really was so beautiful to look at, I hated to fill it up with food and make it look cluttered.

Other brands and models of LG fridges made you open your fridge doors all the way in order to pull out the deli drawer, I really liked that you only have to open these to 90* because the very bottom shelf is smaller - less cold air will escape!

This handy sliding shelf will be fun to test out.  Sadly in the counter depth fridge the shelves are noticeably shorter.  When I tried putting my pitcher of ice tea here it did fit, but it was a little rocky because the shelf is not completely flat - the white part in the front starts to slant down.  Luckily it doesn't seem affect it and the pitcher is staying put.

This ice maker works hard and cranks out ice so fast!  It's also super quiet, only when the house is very still will you once in a while hear the sound of the ice dropping down - that's it!

Aaahhhhh, my favorite feature!  The HUGE freezer with extra drawer!

Just for comparison sake, here is the Samsung counter depth refrigerator that we almost bought.  That is Ben's hand measuring how wide it opens.  We were shocked - that's it!

Time to fill-her up!  My little helper is always on hand!  Speaking of hands, I may have to move the glass jars out of the bottom of this door, because those little hands like to grab them from there!

There ya go, I moved all the food over from our garage fridge (which was holding it for us during our crisis).  We still have tons of room for more on those shelves!

I LOVE these three produce drawers (technically it's only 2 because the middle one is referred to as a bonus drawer and does not have the little sliders for veggie-fruit).  That deli drawer is huge, I just spread everything out so it makes it easy to find what I need.

The produce drawers are smaller than normal, I had to break off the ends of my kale to make it fit diagonally into the drawer.

Love these thin bins!  They help keep everything where I can see it!

Oh this freezer with extra shelf is just makes me smile, this was a huge selling feature for me! Wait till summer when I fill it up with Popsicles!

Because I'm a little OCD in the organizing department I added some extra bins that I picked up at the Dollar Tree and labeled them to help me sort my frozen fruits and veggies. I was showing my friend the fridge and she thought they came with it - score!

This top freezer drawer is great! I love that it came with the extra ice bin, since the one in the door does not hold that much. My pink mama milk bins fit in perfectly (sadly the mama milk did not survive the great refrigerator disaster, they thawed and refroze multiple times).

Look how far this drawer pulls out! Even with food in them all the drawers slide out easily.

I just had to show another angle of how far the bottom drawer comes out!

And it even has a bonus spot for storing thin boxes like pizza!

When I was reading reviews of all the different refrigerators out there I also spent time viewing video reviews on YouTube.  Therefore I decided to make my own video review, it's 10 minutes long so if you don't watch the whole thing I won't blame you.

We've been living with the fridge for a week now and it's been awesome!  In fact I've even gotten used to the funky water dispenser and have found reasons to appreciate it! I have fewer accidents because it's easier to line my cup up with the spigot, yes yes I'm a woman in my 30's who spills water frequently because I don't get my cup in the right spot - pathetic!  Well, not anymore!  Hooray!

I'll keep this post updated with how well this refrigerator performs over time because that is another VERY IMPORTANT aspect of making a fridge selection.  Sadly I was told multiple times that the average fridge nowadays only lasts between 5-7 years, say what?!?!?!  I've seen many a fridge that is older than me still kicking!  Well not anymore, manufacturers just don't care! Because of this sad fact, we bought the extended warranty through Lowe's, hopefully we won't have to use it, but I'll let you know the good the bad and the ugly...

Share with me, what refrigerator do you have? How well has it held up?


14 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for your review and the time you put into describing all the details. The video too was very helpful! Very much appreciated!
    Alina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! I know I find other people's reviews like this super helpful, so I'm just trying to pay it forward! :)

      Delete
  2. Hope you’re still reading questions. Just found this. Is this LG smudge resistant? Thx!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're going to laugh, I still have the clear stickers that it comes with on it! There are parts where the stickers don't cover (specifically behind the freezer handle) and that part is covered in water spots and is tricky to clean. I will say when I was shopping fridges I did notice a difference between GE's smudge-proof coating and this one, it really did resist the fingerprints! At some point I'm going to research the best product/technique to keep your fridge smudge free, but until then I've been lazy and left the stickers on...

      Delete
  3. Would you still suggest this fridge I've been looking at this one for a while

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I would. The fridge is now almost 10 months old and I still really love it. Everyone is always impressed with how much space it has inside and that third drawer in the freezer is so handy!

      Delete
  4. Looking to buy this fridge. A year in, are you still happy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, still very happy with it! We've had no problems at all with is so far, and have really learned to like the funky water dispenser for the fact that it makes filling our refillable water bottles super easy. Oh, and I found replacement cartridges for the water filter on Amazon in a 3 pack!

      Delete
  5. In the market for a fridge. You did a very good review. Are you still happy with the performance of this model LG?
    I have read soooo many bad reviews on Lowes web site and amazon about this fridge but it I like the features and can't be sure if I want to invest nearly $2000 for a fridge that is riddled with problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! We've now owned the fridge for 16 months, I've replaced the water filter twice (not bothered with the air filter), and only had to wipe down things that have spilled. The fridge has been doing great, we've had 0 problems and are still quite happy with it. I know reading reviews can be tough, because most people only go to the effort of writing a review when they've had a problem; but those can be helpful too because you learn what can go wrong with the fridge and what you're willing to deal with... Luckily, we got a good one and not a lemon. :)

      Delete
  6. Thank you for information. I had bought same fridge from electronic dealers in Pune. The fridge is almost now 8 months and it still working good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there, I'm considering the same fridge and there are SO many bad reviews. Now that it's been about 3 years since you bought it, do you still recommend it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Doli! I'm happy to report it still works perfectly, not a single problem. 👍

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Missing Photos

I apologize for a lot of missing pictures, especially in older posts. I was using PhotoBucket to host my pictures, but they've changed their rules and no longer allow links to them.
I will be re-uploading the pictures, but it may take some time...