Monday, October 9, 2017

How to Make a Poodle Skirt

Back when I was still teaching my kindergarten coworkers were preparing for the annual Christmas performance when they realized their poodle skirts were MIA! I volunteered to help them quickly pull some together. Lucky for me they had the perfect red skirts left over from their Cinco De Mayo celebration the year before. All they needed were the cute little white dogs!


These skirts came together so easily, and they really didn't need much in the line of supplies, just:
  • Red skirt - A shape prefered
  • White Felt
  • Rhinestone trim
  • White ribbon
  • Outline of a poodle
  • White thread
  • Hotglue gun
I was lucky to have the body of the skirt ready made, but let me tell you it would be so simple to sew one up!  It is literally two rectangles of red fabric, seems down the side, a hem at the bottom and either elastic band or drawstring waist.

The first thing I had to do was figure out the proportion of the dog to skirt (this will be different depending on the size of the skirt). I printed it out and cut it out so I could see how it would look.

Then I traced it onto the white felt with a marker.

To attach the poodle to the skirt I sewed around it loosely following the shape.

I found it easier to hand-stitch the ribbon on for the leash (sorry no closeups, my hand-stitching looks terrible).

Then I hotglued on the rhinestone collar.

Here are three of the cute little kindergartners ready for the show! The adorable shirts were handmade by the mom volunteers!

Here is a picture of the poodle outline I used to make the skirt.
I love projects that I can complete in just one evening! Don't you?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Missing Photos

I apologize for a lot of missing pictures, especially in older posts. I was using PhotoBucket to host my pictures, but they've changed their rules and no longer allow links to them.
I will be re-uploading the pictures, but it may take some time...